Monday, November 9, 2009

We're Famous!!....and a little crazy!

Why are we famous, you might be asking? Well because Ethan and I had our picture in the Las Vegas Review Journal! You read right, we're in that picture. (for those of you that can't tell where we are, we're right behind the lazy people in the chairs) Yes that is the line Ethan and I waited in for over three hours so Ethan could get the H1N1 Flu Vaccine. (Katelee had been running a fever so she couldn't get one) The free clinic was Saturday from 10-6. I figured everyone would wait until last minute so we showed up around 9:45am. Of course it just so happens that EVERYONE else thinks the same way I do.... The line wrapped around the building in the center of the picture, down the side on the left of the picture and then back up to the building again. Ethan was a very good boy the entire time, which I'm not all that surprised about. He is a crazy boy, but knows how to behave (most of the time) in certain situations. He played with his cars in all the landscaping, whenever there was any or wanted me to hold him. I figured me holding him would give me some exercise and make my arms stronger so I held him whenever he wanted me too. By 12:30 we were in the building and getting the shot. After arguing (nicely, I might add) with the nurse inside Ethan was ready for the big moment! The nurse asked me to sit down and hold Ethan on my lap, with his legs between mine so he couldn't kick. I did as she asked, but told her Ethan would give her no problems. The whole time in line I kept reminding Ethan that we'd get a Slurpee if he was a good boy. I don't like to say "if you don't cry" because I think it's okay to cry, sometimes shots just plain hurt and crying makes me feel better. Anyway, Ethan watched as the nurse cleaned his arm, he watched as she put the needle (which was crazy big, in my opinion) in his arm and watched as she pushed the serum in. When she was done he reached up to hold the cotton ball and raised his arm up high. The nurse looked at him and said, "If only all of the kids were as good as you!" What a proud mom moment that was. Of course it makes me feel good to have such a brave son, and well behaved at that! It is also a little sad that he does so well but helps me see the bigger picture to a challenge I posed to myself lately. During Scripture study one morning I challenged myself to look for things of opposition in my life and how they can make me stronger. Ethan's medical issues have been a source of opposition in our lives and it's amazing to see how he has grown because of it. He doesn't care if he gets shots or even blood drawn, for that matter. Although it may only seem like a little thing, in this mothers eyes it is a huge thing! And that is how Ethan and I spent Saturday morning! We of course went to 7-11 and got Ethan and Mommy a Slurpee, I figured I deserved one for waiting in the heat for that long! It was fun to hang out with Ethan and see how brave my son is!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

You were brave to wait that long. I am sure there was some interesting people there too. =)

Ashlee Merback said...

What a little stud! Could you please send him over to talk to Tanner next time he has to get a shot? Also, thanks for your awesome example of looking for the good in all experiences.

Keever Family said...

Congratulations Ethan! I took Connor and Caitlin to get their H1N1 flu shot, Connor cried and cried. Caitlin didn't even flinch until I got mine! I had to bribe my kids with swings!

Get Hooked said...

You are one brave momma too! I told Dave last night that I was kind of glad that I wasn't interested in getting the H1N1 for me and the girls, because it seems to be such an ordeal to get it. (I know, I know I should get it. I've heard and taken a bit of slack for not doing it, but I'm still not doing it.)

Hilary and Chris said...

Ruthann, I only got it for Ethan because of his health problems. He is at a very HIGH risk of getting sick and I didn't want to take any chances. Parents have the ultimate say, stick by your decision no matter what!

Tenille said...

I am with Ruthann...glad I am not giving my kids it because that would not be fun to stand in line with my kids for that long. And I too have gotten many looks for my choice. I totally see why you would give Ethan some which makes me glad I have two healthy boys. Glad it went well. Love the pic too.

tiffunny said...

Can I have your autograph?