Friday, November 20, 2009

Our Tough Little Girl!

Yesterday at the last minute I decided to take Katelee to get her H1N1 shot. Grandma Blackburn and Ethan joined us for this joyous event. We waited in line for about 30-45 minutes which is a huge improvement compared to when Ethan got his shot. The whole time I was thinking how well Ethan does and dreading Katelee's reaction to the shot. We have been so spoiled to have Ethan who doesn't mind getting shots. When I take him to the Dr. I never have to worry about him crying to get a shot, however with Katelee I was a little nervous. My little Princess likes to cry about things, mostly out of her own frustration. As we got closer to the front of the line I started getting a little nervous of her reaction and started prepping myself for some major girl drama. We sat down, I placed her legs between mine and squeezed her into my chest so she couldn't hit. The nurse wiped her leg with alcohol and got the needle ready. Katelee was just looking around the room when the nurse poked her leg. She didn't flinch, she didn't whine she just sat there. The nurse placed a Band-Ade on her leg and I picked her up. The nurse was silent and just stared at Katelee. I finally asked if we were all done and she said "this is the first kid I have had all day that didn't cry." Of course my shoulders raised a bit higher and I think my smile nearly encompassed my entire face. We walked out the room and into the night, untouchable! What a great girl she was. I think it might have had something to do with the little prep talk Ethan gave to her. He said, "Katelee you be a big boy like me, okay?" Well I think she took those words to heart and was a "big boy" just like her brother! I love my kids and am so grateful that they do so well with shots, it makes me not feel like such a mean mom!

No comments: