Thursday, January 7, 2010

ROSEOLA......

You can always tell when Katelee doesn't feel very well, her eyes give her away.
It all started Sunday. Katelee got pretty warm at church and was very cuddly. She took a good nap after church but was still really warm. We had dinner at Grandma Alberta's and actually left early so we could get her home. Tylenol and Motrin would work for a little bit but never take her temperature back to normal. She was up that night burning up and whinny. We took her temperature in the middle of the night and it got to about 101.9. Monday my mom called me at work and told me that her fever was now at 102.5, so I called the Dr's nurse just to see what we might be able to do. After talking with the nurse about her other symptoms-NOTHING besides loss of appetite- we decided to have her seen that night. When we got to the Dr. her fever was still about 102.5-the girl was burning up and just seemed so sad. The Dr. looked her over and found nothing, she said she was PERFECT except for the fever. Of course this did not make me feel better, I don't like not having a reason for things, but it did make me feel better to know that she didn't have an ear infection or something like that. The Dr. suggested we give her a luke warm bath and really push liquids. We gave her a bath and before we could finish poor Katelee was shaking and shivering. I took her out and about 10 minutes later she calmed down. Once again she had a rough night where her fever got to about 103. She didn't want to sleep but I can't imagine she was able to get comfortable enough to sleep being that hot. Finally Tuesday afternoon her fever came back down closer to normal and that night it was ideal. However Tuesday and Wednesday night she didn't sleep well at all. Last night she woke up around 3:30am fussing and it turned into a blood curdling cry around 4am. She didn't want to be held but if you put her down she would scream louder. She had no idea what she really wanted. I even took her downstairs and gave her some toys and yogurt to see if she would be happy, but none of that worked. I called the nurse on the way to drop the kids off to see if there was something I was missing. She recommended I bring her in in case they overlooked something and our FAVORITE Dr. had an opening in 20 minutes. I dropped Ethan off at my mom's house and headed over there. He came into the room talked with me for a moment and then came over to listen to her heart and said "oh, I should have just looked at her, she has Roseola." I was actually excited that we finally had a reason for the fever and the irritability. To my astonishment she did have a rash all over her belly and back. It's not a BAD rash like eczema is, but it is definitely there. He told us she was no longer contagious and it would go away in a few days, yeah! But for now she might be annoyed with the rash so that is just something we will have to deal with. With Ethan's medical history it doesn't really ever give Chris and I "new" medical things to deal with, but this is something new for us. My poor little princess is just not herself and I can't wait till we can have the happy Katelee back. We miss you and hope to see you soon!

2 comments:

Keever Family said...

I hope she feels better soon!

Heidi said...

Its never fun to have a sick kid! I hope she gets better quickly! Roseola is never fun!