Wednesday, September 22, 2010

These Kids and Their Daddy!

Chris had a field trip to a Spinal Cord Research Hospital in LA the last two days. He left very early on Monday and didn't get back in town till about 2:00 this morning. To be honest I HATE it when Chris is out of town for any reason. I hate being alone and especially when I'm pregnant, however I always know I can count on both of our families to really help out. Karolyn came by early Monday morning to pick the kids up for the day. My parents had a funeral to attend so Ethan and Katelee got to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa Nelson. We can always count on Karolyn to help us out, she even dropped the kids back off after I got home from work. My parents came over for dinner and Karolyn stayed as well. We had pizza and then we had a quick FHE on talking with our Heavenly Father. Ethan then showed everyone how well he can do his alphabet, colors and shapes. So for doing that we went outside and Grandpa Blackburn helped us do two fireworks. Then Grandma Nelson headed home and my parents helped me get the kids ready for bed.
I don't know about any other mothers out there but getting the kids ready for bed and in bed can be the most stressful part of the night for me. With my parents there to help out it really went smoothly. Chris called and was able to talk with Ethan before he went to bed. Their conversation, although I only heard one side, was pretty funny. Chris was at a baseball game and Ethan told him, "I can hear all those people in California!" It was really cute! When I got back on the phone Chris said how grown-up Ethan sounded on the phone! I put Ethan to bed and finished up some laundry and then I headed to bed as well.
The next morning went pretty smooth, I got the kids ready and dropped them off at Grandma's and then headed to work. That night when I picked the kids up my mom offered to make dinner for us, so we hung out there for a while and then headed home just in time for Katelee's bedtime. I had some friends come over with their two young boys and Ethan didn't like that at all. The boys kept following him around and all he wanted to do was chill on the couch. When they left it was pass his bedtime and he was not happy about not having his "mommy" time like he does every other night. He then decided that he really missed his daddy, so we gave Chris a call. They were waiting for one of his classmates to get released from the hospital and then they could head home. We had told Ethan that daddy would be home that night so he was quite upset that he wasn't going to get to see him. During Ethan's prayers that night he said, "I really miss my daddy" and then he started crying pretty hard. He then said, "Please bless him to get home safe!" It was one of the sweetest prayers he has ever given and warmed my heart because he was thinking the same thing I was! He went to bed and was out in no time, amazing how crying can wear down even a soon to be four year old!
Chris finally got home around 2am and went straight to bed. I sleep much better after he was home, that's for sure! In the morning when I got Katelee out of her crib she kept saying, "Daddy home?" and so I toke her into our room and put her on the bed with Chris. She got a huge smile on her face gave him a cuddle and then decided to be her normal self and want only me while I got ready for work. Silly little lady! Ethan was glad to have his daddy back, but acted really cool about it all! But this mommy was really happy to have their daddy back. I love all the time I get to spend with the kids all by myself, but I definitely miss having him there to help out and hang out! I don't know what we are going to do if Chris has to do an out of town clinical and we will have three kids then, but I know we will be able to make it because our families are so amazing!
I am so grateful for a wonderful husband that helps out so much around the house and with the kids! I can always count on him and miss him so much when he isn't there! This little trip has shown me how mature my little man is getting. He took good care of his momma, gave me extra hugs and was well behaved. He showed that he is capable of understanding that Daddy needs our prayers when he is away and that he needs his daddy in his life! Katelee is still indifferent, but Ethan, Ethan missed his daddy like crazy!

No comments: