Monday, August 26, 2013

Memorial Day 2013

This Memorial Day we kept with the our tradition of going to the graveyard and heart-attacking the graves.  I love involving the kids in this, taking them around to the graves and decorating them.  We had the kids make their own hearts the night before and then we met up with Grandma and Grandpa Blackburn and the Trevino Family.  First we went to Grandma and Grandpa Stewart's Grave.  We go here a few times a year, enough that the kids know exactly where they are going! 
 Four of the great Hazel and Peter's great-grandkids!
 Then we headed down to Uncle Cecil and Aunt Toddies graves.  These were my mom's aunt and uncle.  I got to meet them both when I was young.  We would go over to their house and sit there while my parents chit chatted with them.  One time Aunt Toddie told us a story about when the Indians came and raided her house as a child.  We would also go into their backyard and swing on their tire swing, which was awesome!  I loved them and will always remember them! 
 Then we stopped by a family friend's grave that is also near grandma and grandpa's grave. 
 After that we went to the other side of the cemetery to see Russ and Arlene Howard.  This is my Uncle's parents.  I never got to meet Russ, but I can still remember Arlene.  She was a very sweet lady, always laughed at my dad's jokes and always smiled! 
This year we also went to the Air Force memorial area and placed some hearts for Cousin Brian.  They were having a military memorial and we came right at the end, so we all got some refreshments too!  Awesome!

We then went to another cemetery to see a few more graves.  We all had fun, even the kids.  Our kids love going around cemeteries and I think that is awesome!  We will keep this tradition as long as we can!     

No comments: